[Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dBRule

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 28 19:55:39 EST 2016

On Wed,12/28/2016 4:26 PM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:
> just the freedom to buy what you want to use?

It has NOTHING to do with freedom. One of the FCC's functions is to
establish the rules of the road for radio and other communications
mediums, and their function is much like establishing rules of the road
for our highways. Speed limits and no passing zones are not restrictions
on our freedoms, they are practical rules that make it safer for citizens.

The 15 dB rule was established at the height of the CB radio boom, and
was part of an attempt to deal with illegal operation using ham gear. It
may have outlived its usefulness, and it the petition to change it is
timely. But ALL amplifier manufacturers have been subject to it and
designed their products to conform. SPE chose to ignore it, and those
who have sold these amps in the US are in violation of Federal law.

My personal opinion is that the ham community would be better served by
allowing commercially made amplifiers to have more gain _IF_ FCC Rules
were also amended to tighten IMD and keying bandwidth limits on
transmitted signals and enforced on manufacturers who sell rigs that
don't meet those Rules. 20 dB would allow a 10W radio like a KX3 or ANAN
10e to drive a 1kW amp to full power. 21 dB gets it to 1.25 kW, less
than 1 dB below legal limit.

73, Jim K9YC