[Amps] Emission numbers

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 08:48:52 EST 2016

Bill is absolutely right. In addition, keep in mind the cathode current
peaks are about three X the average current. So, if you expect to run 1A plate
 current the cathode has to emit about 3A for the plate and another .5A or
so  peak grid current.

More would be better to allow for additional aging.

The trick is how one measures peak cathode current. Not everyone has access
 to curve tracer. You can do it with seat of the pants methods if you
understand  all the principles involved.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/17/2016 7:27:24 A.M. Central Standard Time,
dezrat at outlook.com writes:

------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be  snipped)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:33:25 -0500, KA9P wrote:

>Can anyone explain what a good/bad emission number is on a used
>transmitting tube like an 8877?  Or just point me to an  explanation?

REPLY:

"Bad" is mostly in the eye of the beholder.  A "good" tube should match
the plate current curves shown in the data  sheet. That is, for a given
plate voltage and grid bias, the plate current  should be xxx mA as
shown on the graph, especially at the higher end of the  graph. A tube
that has low emission will be lower than that, but how much  lower can
vary a lot. If it is just one or two percent lower, for all  practical
purposes, I would call it a good tube. Below that, the tube  is
probably still useful but it depends mostly on how hard you want  to
drive it.

In other words, there is no strict definition of  a "bad" tube. It all
depends.

73, Bill  W6WRT
Amps mailing  list
Amps at contesting.com