[Amps] SB 220 Exploding Resistor

Vic Rosenthal k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:56:19 EST 2016

This is a 'glitch resistor' intended to protect tubes and other components against arcs caused by gassy tubes. You might replace it with a 25 or 50 ohm 50w resistor and it will work fine, if the tubes survived the arc that blew it up. I have seen this happen with no apparent ill effects. On the other hand, a tube might be gassy and arc again, or the grid may have been damaged by the arc. Check the components connected between the grids and ground; they are often damaged by plate-Gris arcs.

Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO