[Amps] Alpha 77 troubleshooting

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Jan 20 17:20:54 EST 2016

Eric,

The 2N5184 is a silicon NPN transistor with a Vceo rating of 120VDC.  You may use a 2N5551 as a substitute.  These are readily available from many suppliers.

I don’t understand the desire for an outboard fan on the 77.  The 77 blower system extracts air across the power supply, providing ample air flow to much of the amp.  Inadequate air flow is not a common problem with the 70/77 series.  Is his QTH located in a really high altitude?  Even if it is, the blower can be adjusted to compensate - within reasonable limits.

The Alpha 70/77 series uses no dedicated neutral for the 120VAC blower.   It was designed at a time when strict adherence to UL was not necessary followed.  The ground lead *IS* the neutral lead.  While it's incorrect and potentially unsafe, it is NOT an NEC violation.  The NEC is a premise wiring standard and not a products wiring standard.  Suggestion;  replace the line cord with #10/4 and add a dedicated neutral.  You don’t even need to work in the amp for this change.  100% of the change occurs in the Cinch-Jones plug by changing jumpers.  I've done it on two Alpha amps.  The only caveat is that you then need to install a four-pole 240V receptacle *and* four-wire service back to the load center/breaker box.

The voltage drop from 4KV to 3500V is normal for the small case 77.  Increasing the PS filter cap to 35 uF will noticeably improve regulation.

Without referencing the schematic, I don’t recall why the 40841 FET is used.  It may be part of ETO's very early QSK system that samples power.  That requires some research.

Paul, W9AC