[Amps] Alpha 87a Low receive

Robert Arenella rja12 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 01:03:02 EDT 2016

On 6/13/2016 6:03 PM, Jerry wrote:
> The TX and RX pin diodes have been remarkably reliable with infrequent
> failure.

   I'll stick with my statement that pin diodes were / are the Achilles
Heel of all the Alpha Amps that used them, especially the 86. If they
were so reliable, why did Alpha design & build a replacement T/R board
for the 86 that used vacuum relay switching?  Why did 86 owners buy
EVERY ONE that Alpha made?  They were not cheap, about $450 each.

   The pair of those Tx pins could handle about 20 watts of reflected
power.  My 86 trips at about 2:1 SWR.  Do the math.  At the legal limit,
that's WAY more than 20 watts of reflected power.  P-O-O-F!

73,
Bob
N2OAM