[Amps] HL2K high SWR input

Patrick EGLOFF pegloff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 07:25:58 EST 2016

Hi all and thanks for answers,

It seems that the mailing list is not working properly.. I didn't receive
anything during days...

It took me a complete day but i finally made my amplifier work.
As i wrote, the problem was only on 15m and the amplifier worked perfectly
on all other bands.

Of course, did i try another coaxial length between transceiver and
amplifier, etc...

I tried to measure the input with my VNA (amp being off and putting a 56
Ohm from cathodes to ground)  and came to the conclusion that something was
wrong with these input circuits... I didn't have a good match and had some
strange parasitic reflections.
But it is hard to tell where the problem is...
I also noticed that replacing the 56 Ohm with a small pot, i could get a
good match, but at a different input impedance (close to 85 Ohm).

I calculated a PI filter for a Q=2 and input 50 OHm , output 60 Ohms (what
the two 3-500Z should give) and found that the original values are
completely different.
I compared to several other commercial amplifiers and NONE of them has the
same values, the differences are HUGE ! Of course, different configuration
can lead to a good result, but i can't explain such BIG differences...
Where is the truth ?

The amplifier being completely disassembled, i inadvertently had the input
circuit on 24 MHz band and the output on 21 MHz, the amplifier worked
perfectly !
So i only removed the 21 MHz input circuit and connected it to the 24 MHz
circuit.  Et voilà !
BTW, some commercial amplifier have a common circuit for 2-3 bands.

Again, i learned a lot..

That said, i would like to hear of someone who has the same amplifier TOKYO
HI-POWER HL2K and his results on 15m input ?
73, Patrick.