[Amps] SELL: Mint Drake L4B amplifier Package

Paul Baldock paul at paulbaldock.com
Sat May 7 17:50:07 EDT 2016

At 11:10 AM 5/7/2016, you wrote:
>The Drake L4B RF deck easily turns into an Al-82 amplifier with the
>same power transformer in the power supply.  1500 watts output no sweat.

How do you get away with the same power transformer? Hopefully not by
increasing the primary voltage.

On my sample of 1, the original power supply gives about 2600V. To
get to 3400V no load I built a second supply of about 800V DC
(actually switchable to 0V, 400V and 800V), and place this in series
with B-, which means the original 2600V floats above ground by 800V,
but other than that the original supply is not under any additional
stress. I also added real bias to limit idle current to around 140mA.
I am still using the original fan, but I'm sure the amp could use
more air flow. I have a built in timer to cause the fan to run for 30
seconds after the amp is turned off.

- Paul  KW7Y