[Amps] "Conventional" current flow

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sat Nov 19 14:26:27 EST 2016

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 22:16:50 -0700, you wrote:

>So the bottom line is that we shouldn't be troubled by abstract ideas like electric current. Most everything we know about the world is an abstraction of some sort. Instead, we should be grateful that the universe, despite its enormous complexity and subtlety, allows us to simplify its rules into stripped down descriptions that our small brains can understand and that let us do useful things, like build vacuum tubes.
>
>73,
>
>Jim W8ZR

REPLY:

My main objection to "modern" physics is in the quote above.
Physicists have a bad habit of using mathematics to describe the real
world. They build a mathematical model of it and after a while they
come to think the model is the real thing. It isn't, any more than a
marble statue is a real human being. They get fixated on the math and
lose sight of what is real. Einstein's description of gravity as a
"distorting of space" is typical. Gravity is simply a force which is
poorly understood, not a distortion of anything.

Another classic example is the Big Bang Theory. When it was first
proposed the word "Theory" was always included. After a number of
years, "Theory" was dropped and it became just the "Big Bang", as if
it had been proven. It has not, except as a mathematical model but
that doesn't stop a lot of people as accepting it as proven fact.

One of the great failings of the human race is the willingness to
accept a plausible explanation for something that may or man not be
true and can not be proven.

Mathematics is useful, but it is only a model, not the real thing.

73, Bill W6WRT