[Amps] 3D Printed ABS Plastic for Chimneys?

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Wed Nov 23 16:42:35 EST 2016

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 19:19:42 +0000 (UTC), W3DRK wrote:

>Currently the chimney is an off-the-shelf Coleman lantern globe that loosely sits over the heatsink, so I'd rather use something that's more of an exact fit to ensure all my cooling air is forced up through the heatsink rather than around it.

REPLY:

I would suggest not having too tight a fit with the chimney. You want
to cool the outside of the anode cooler as well as the inner fins.
Having the chimney fit tightly would prevent this.

It would be an interesting experiment to test the cooling both ways to
see how much difference there really is. Cooling the inner fins only
would increase the airflow in that area but it also reduces the total
area exposed to the airflow.

Everything is a tradeoff, isn't it?   :-)

73, Bill W6WRT