[Amps] SB-220 update and gettering

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sun Nov 27 10:42:47 EST 2016

Joe, both answers are correct. True, you should never "run" the tubes
outside their specified range, but merely bringing the filaments up to
operating temperature slowly isn't running them! Also, no need to ramp the
filaments up unduly slowly. I'd say a few seconds is slow enough. You just
want to minimize the current surge caused by the low filament resistance
when the tube is cold. Once the filaments are running at their normal
voltage (5V), then I'd leave the tubes on for a few hours to getter any
residual air before applying plate voltage.
73,
Jim W8ZR