[Amps] Alpha 87A Alpha Max Upgrade

Jarrad Mitchell vk3bl at outlook.com
Thu Oct 13 08:49:07 EDT 2016

If I may,

I would suggest that it ultimately depends on the effort one wishes to go to.  Whilst you may not be able to 'clone' the chips by doing a firmware dump, I doubt they would be particularly challenging to reverse engineer.

For starters, the architectures of tube PAs are pretty well known - so anyone undertaking the task should have a reasonably easy time figuring out what the inputs and outputs of the chips are.

Likewise, they would also have a fair idea of the intended purpose of the chips, and at least some theories pertaining to how the chips should accomplish their task.  I'd suggest there is a reasonable amount of experience with this given that Alpha is not the only company to offer auto-tune amplifiers.

One would then design a test procedure, and measured the inputs and outputs of the chips whilst running the procedure.

By combining the experimental data with the theory and known purposes of the chips, a competent engineer should then be able to create a replacement part.

They did it with the first IBM PC (only the BIOS chips were IBM propriety), and I am confident it can be done significantly more easily with a tube amplifier.

Whether or not one would bother, I don't know.  It may be prudent instead to design a generic control board for auto-tune tube amplifiers, and then offer conversion boards to those that need them.

That said, how many control boards are failing compared to tubes?  Given the price of 3CX800A7s, I dare say there will not be a shortage of working second hand logic boards from 87As that people just can't afford to re-tube.

Why are we worrying about control logic ICs that rarely fail, when there is a well-known elephant in the room?

Just my thoughts... I know hams are scared of ICs... but me?  I'm scared of tube availability.

Jarrad Mitchell

h: VK3BL & XU7AGA