[Amps] Ampleon BLF189XR 1900W LDMOS transistor announcement

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Oct 17 15:50:38 EDT 2016

 > Just search BLF189XR. Most of the search results will take you to the
 > Ampleon Press Release.

This may or may not be good news for amateurs.  While the Ampleon press
release touts 1900W peak, that is in *pulse* service which is generally
driven hard into compression/clipping.  One would need to look at the
data sheet to check the 1 dB and 0.5 dB compression level to see if it
will handle 1500 W peak before reaching the 0.5 dB (preferably) or 1 dB
(worst case) compression levels.

As it stands, some unscrupulous manufacturer will certainly build a
product around the BLF189XR and probably advertise it as a 2KW PEP
amplifier without concern for the IMD generated just as is the case
with several "1300 W" and "1500 W" solid state amplifiers currently
on the market.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV