[Amps] Ampleon BLF189XR 1900W LDMOS transistor

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Thu Oct 20 11:17:50 EDT 2016

Broadcast is really the wrong comparison for all the reasons that Jim gives below.  How
does the military handle this in applications that require power and frequency agility?

While they don't have our cost and device lifetime constraints, their needs and usage patterns
still feel closer to ours than either one is to commercial broadcast applications.

I believe that solid-state will eventually replace tubes even in amateur apps, but for all these
reasons I don't think it's coming soon.  I am not seeing a solid-state amp anywhere on the horizon
that provides the output power, overall performance, and price of a single-tube 3-500Z amp
in a solid state amp.  If I've overlooked one, show me.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR