[Amps] SG-500 and N8XJK Super Booster

Larry Dighera LDighera at att.net
Sat Sep 10 14:47:04 EDT 2016

Hello Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.  Very much
appreciated.

I don't know what the duty-cycle of a compressed SSB transmission might be, but
I'm guessing somewhere around 50% or less.  Table 2 on page 149 here:
<https://books.google.com/books?id=fvtXAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA149> provides two figures
of conversational SSB duty-cycle:

    20% (no speech processing)
    40% (heavy speech processing)

So, I believe my application is within the Super Booster's specifications as
you stated.

The photograph of WA1GZY's mobile installation at the bottom of this page:
<https://www.qrz.com/db/WA1GZY> would appear to confirm that placing the
smoothing capacitor at the Super Booster's input is the right place to connect
it.

I appreciate your admonition to limit the Super Booster's output to 14 volts,
the specified input voltage of the SG-500.  I have read of other operators
powering the amplifier with 18 volts to increase power output, but the limited
increase in power this practice may provide (maybe ~100 watts additional) is
probably not worth the stress it will impose on the Super Booster or the
solid-state amplifier.

Thank you again for your support.

Best regards,
Larry