[Amps] SG-500 and N8XJK Super Booster

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 14 13:46:56 EDT 2016

On Sun,9/11/2016 6:13 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> IF you put the cap at the battery, then u
> don’t have the problem with v drops between cap + battery.  But you still  need big gauge  wire to the amp.

Exactly the opposite is true -- with the cap at the battery, IR drop
will vary with modulation on both the positive and negative leads -- it
follows the modulation envelope. If you connect headphones between the
battery and the radio, you will hear what sounds like SSB with an AM
detector.  With the cap at the radio (and if it's big enough), the
voltage at the radio is reduced by the AVERAGE of the load current, but
it doesn't follow modulation.

I agree with the recommendation for the super-cap, but it should
definitely be at the radio.  I also agree with the recommendation for
BIG wire.

73, Jim K9YC