[Amps] FW: Acom 2000A - typical output power?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Sep 17 23:02:04 EDT 2016

On Sat,9/17/2016 5:35 PM, Mark Bitterlich wrote:

> And if I may, I've always had tremendous respect for FCC rules and
> regulations, but that said, comparing a gent who has Rhombics facing
> each cardinal direction fed with 1500 watts, compared to some poor
> soul with a dipole running his home brew pair of 4-1000's or even a
> 3CX10000..... No, it is not legal... but when trying to bust the
> pile-up,  I get it.  Just sayin.

The FCC Rules say "Output Power", NOT ERP (except on 60M).  How can you
say you have "tremendous respect for FCC rules" and then say you run
illegal power when you think you need to?  :)  The Rules encourage us to
build better antennas. And how many "gents" do you know with ANY
Rhombic, let alone Rhombics in multiple directions? Even one Rhombic
takes a lot of real estate! IMO, this sort of thing is mostly urban
legend and rumor -- the "oft-repeated lie" that is taken as truth. Or
maybe I've led a sheltered life.

I've worked a fair number of DXpeditions with 5W, some of them pretty
rare.  My highest gain antenna is the smallest 3-el SteppIR. I also run
legal limit in contests where I'm seriously competing. :)

73, Jim K9YC