[Amps] MFJ-(AMERITRON) ROLLER INDUCTOR?

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 11:04:41 EDT 2016

The Henry / Tempo 2001 linear amplifier uses a roller inductor as the plate tuning instead of the "normal" variable capacitor tuning.  It has fixed capacitors that are band switched instead of switching coil taps.  The antenna loading capacitor is a variable capacitor.  Although built before the WARC bands, the amplifier covers those bands very well.  There is a chart, in the manual, that shows the approximate readings, from the roller inductor tuning vernier, for each band.  What I did was to use these readings for initial tuning and then created my own chart for each band with my antenna for each band in use.  That way, when changing bands, I can come very close to "off the air" tuning and then it only takes a very few seconds to "tweak" the tuning for the specific frequency being used.

I have had one of these amplifiers since it was new in 1972 and have had absolutely no problems with the tuning and the original 8874 tubes are still putting out full power.  The efficiency is excellent even on the 10-meter band.

 Glen, K9STH