[Amps] New Amplifier

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sun Apr 9 22:15:19 EDT 2017

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 01:54:42 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>A $7K amp is at least $3K more expensive than a comparable tube amp.  It's hard to see where any of the above would justify the extra $3K.
>
>73,
>Cathy
>N5WVR

REPLY:

The Ameritron and Heathkit amps you mentioned are NOT comparable, IMO.
For one, they are designed to meet a price point, not a performance
point.

A more comparable tube amp would be the Alpha 9500, which is similar
in price to the PowerGenius XL, but doesn't do six meters. I have a
9500 and love it, but it will be put up for sale when the PowerGenius
XL is available provided the antenna tuner issue is resolved
satisfactorily.

All my antennas have a 2:1 SWR or less on the frequencies I use and if
the PowerGenius XL can handle that without a tuner, I'm in.

Another factor in favor of SS amps I forgot to mention is they are
no-tune. They do have to switch harmonic filters per band and possibly
an antenna tuner, but no tuning of the amp itself is required. They
are inherently broad banded.

73, Bill W6WRT