[Amps] blowing up CMOS

Bob Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 19:00:58 EDT 2017

This was something we saw at work in the early Cray days of computing and
is taught in our electrical safety courses today.    Even with some
precautions taken, the movement of the human body sliding in a seat was
sufficient to cause damage to parts as a technician leaned forward
slightly.

If I'm arm deep in a computer I can't afford to replace ($1M+/rack like we
have now), I will surely use my fancy Spiedel twist-o-flex grounded wrist
strap, Keen ESD steel toes, and test these regularly to make sure they are
doing what they're supposed to be doing.  Even the ESD chairs are tested
where it matters, although we don't do much work sitting down in the
computer rooms these days.

-Bob N3XKB