[Amps] Tubes, transistors, and 'abuse'

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Apr 15 00:25:34 EDT 2017

What if you didn't increase the width along with the length?  IOW, We go
from 1 CM^2 to 1CM by 1 Meter (10 Cm) would the same hold true.  1 Cm X
1CM is the same scale as 1 M X 1 M. It's the size that's different. Yes,
it's semantics, but the ratio of length to width remains the same.  When
measuring resistivity, the size of the probes did make a difference.  Of
course, in that case the volume of the material between the probes did
change.

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 4/12/2017 12:50 PM, MU 4CX250B wrote:
> You're partly right, Don, but only because a real mat always has some
> thickness and isn't always very large compared to the probe spacing.
> But even in that case, the difference in measurements isn't very
> large, and has nothing to do with any kind of intermediate conducting
> layer in the mat.
>
> I know it seems counterintuitive, but it's well known that the
> so-called "square resistance" of large, thin flat conductors is
> independent of the size of the square. In other words, if you cut two
> square pieces of a thin conductor, one a centimeter square, and the
> other a meter square, and then you attach electrodes to the opposing
> sides of each square and measure their resistances, you'll get the
> same value for each. In physics, we say that the resistance of two
> dimensional conductors is "scale invariant." Given that fact, it's
> very easy to generalize the results to point contact probes, as one
> would use with a fluke DMM. BTW, this isn't something I've dreamed up.
> It's a well-known result in science and engineering.
> 73,
> Jim w8zr
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 12, 2017, at 6:40 AM, "donroden at hiwaay.net" <donroden at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>>
>> Unless you have a perfect conductor under or part of your conductive mat, there will be differences as the mat is probed with a Fluke.
>> Don W4DNR
>>
>> Quoting Al Kozakiewicz <akozak at hourglass.com>:
>>
>>> In Jim's post there were five assertions of fact, one opinion, one typo and a polite closing.  Was Don disagreeing with some or all of them?
>>>
>>> Al
>>> AB2ZY