[Amps] Mobile Amps ?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Apr 15 02:16:33 EDT 2017

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 13:23:45 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile Amps ?

On Fri,4/14/2017 12:01 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
> Be careful with so much power in a mobile. Many newer cars are highly
> computerized and won't tolerate RFI.

YES! My 2006 Toyota Sequoia (big SUV) went into "limp home" mode with
only 100W on 20M. No fun having that happen in an isolated stretch of
I-80 in the high desert of northern NV. Luckily, I had tools, and got
the computer to reboot when I disconnected and reconnected the battery.

73, Jim K9YC

##  Fords  go into limp mode when they are grossly overheated.  Each plug has
its own  coil..run by the cars  ECU.  Separate injector for each cylinder.... also
run by the cars  ECU.    When in limp mode,  every 2nd cylinder has its injector
and coil disabled.   Pistons in disabled cylinders are just pushing air.

## If you shut the eng off, then turn it back on, it will stay in limp mode, but
only if overheated,    IF it tripped due to RFI,  it should re-set if eng turned
off, then back on.   If that doesnt work, master re-set can be done by
disconnecting the NEG terminal of the battery for 30 secs.   On a side note,
if you have to ever do any welding on the car for any reason, always disconnect
the NEG terminal of the battery, and lay the cable end on some paper, or anything
to insulate the terminal..so it does not come into contact with the chassis.

##  with the NEG terminal disconnected  for 30 secs, then re-connected, when u start
the car back up, you may well find it balks a bit when 1st started up.   With power
disconnected from the ECU, the ECU has lost all its short + long term  fuel trims  for
fuel injector management.   You have to drive a few miles so it can re-learn them
again. No big deal.

Jim  VE7RF