[Amps] Mobile Amps ?

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Sat Apr 15 10:12:59 EDT 2017

Bill, Jim,

>> Be careful with so much power in a mobile. Many newer cars are highly
>> computerized and won't tolerate RFI.
>
> YES! My 2006 Toyota Sequoia (big SUV) went into "limp home" mode with
> only 100W on 20M.

I'm a happy man! I still drive a Nissan SUV made in 1992, special model
for 3rd world countries. The only factory-installed electronics in it is
the timer for the rear wiper intermittent function! The engine has a
fully mechanical carburetor, the ignition is by points and capacitor
(called "condenser" by mechanics) in a mechanical distributor, and so
on. There is no ABS, no airbags, no catalytic converter with all of its
associated sensors and controller, no navigation electronics, no
nothing. Even the original voltage regulator was mechanical, but I
changed that to an electronic regulator.

This car is a dream for any ham: After installing resistor-type spark
plugs, there is no interference whatsoever from the car to the radios,
and of course there is no interference from the radios to the car - it's
kinda hard to QRM a carburetor! :-)

I bought this car because 1992 was the last year when cars without
emission control were licensed without much restrictions in my country,
and I intended to hold on to it while I can maintain it. While some
European environmentalists might cringe, I can assure them that it's not
as bad as they think: This car has a highly complex carburetor, along
with gas recirculation and other measures, all fully mechanical, that
result in pretty low CO, NO and HC emissions. Along with CO2 emissions
that are slightly lower than those of an equivalent modern car!

As a ham, I wouldn't buy any car whose manufacturer forbids installing a
transceiver in it! Just like I would never buy a house in a condominium
that has antenna restrictions.

Manfred