[Amps] Mobile Amps ?

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 12:58:27 EDT 2017

  Mike VE9AA es VE9AA/m Smith VE9AA wrote:

> I am thinking of upgrading my mobile station from 100w to something more.
> 500-600w minimum.

> At one time there seemed to be more choices available to the mobile ham but
> now about the only choice seems

> to be the Ameritron ALS-500M. At $1350 CDN + 15% tax and then shipping,
> (making it about $1600 CDN) it's not cheap for a 350-400w (CW) amp.

> I don't mind paying for quality, but what scares me more about this amp are
> some of the less than glowing reviews.

   Instead of an 80 Ampere amplifier (+ 20 Amperes of transceiver) you
might want to think about the possibility of a 40 Ampere transceiver
such as:  (HAM stick only do 200 Watts)

   The TS-480HX provides 200 watts (100 on 6 meters) and does not have
the built-in antenna tuner for +3dB improvement instead of the 6+ dB
improvement from the 80 Amperes.
Everyone that I have head from that has one loved it.

   If you are working cw why do you need so much power?  (80 meters?)
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.