[Amps] Tubes, transistors, and 'abuse'

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Sat Apr 22 13:02:27 EDT 2017

Manfred,

I'd welcome your opinion on the design.  I call it "good" because when it
works, it seems to work well, and it's quite compact.  I am still learning
amplifier design, and I'm not competent to identify design flaws
like inadequate heat sink size and airflow.

Mine looks to be this design:

http://www.kg9e.net/projects/hfpacker/

It may be telling that K5OOR has resigned the amp since my kit was
built. The current one being sold appears to be physically larger than mine.

Documentation:

https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-17403798/documents/58c313c4618a4lexQCfw/Construction%20Manual%20miniHFPA%20with%20schematics%20and%20BOM%202017%2003%2010.pdf

73,
Cathy
N5WVR

Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred at ludens.cl> wrote:

 Cathy, that "good" little amp that eats MOSFETs for breakfast, lunch and
 dinner cannot really be "good". It must have a serious design flaw, to
 behave like that. So it's a BAD amplifier, not a good one. The IRF510 is
 a small, rather low power MOSFET, with a pretty good gate voltage range,
 and it's no rocket science at all to make an amp with it that works
 without blowing up such MOSFETs.