[Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

sm0aom at telia.com sm0aom at telia.com
Sun Apr 23 15:28:28 EDT 2017

Well, I am with Manfred, and I believe the professional transmitter world also is.'
Looking at what is offered to the commercial and military markets, they all use the
distributed amplifier and hybrid tree approach.

I follow the developments closely as a consultant in civilian and naval HF, and it appears
that all high-powered offerings use power modules of maximum 500 or 600 W output, that¨
are summed together.

Some years ago, I got a preview at the factory in Pomezia of the new generation of SELEX 5 and 10 kW solid-state
transmitters using plastic cased MOS-transistors. Each module uses 2 transistors, and 12 modules are summed to
provide 6 kW from each half in the 10 kW unit,

This is in accordance with previous proven engineering practices.

The very reliable Rockwell-Collins PA-2250, directly derived from the HF-8023, used the same approach
to reach 3 kW with bipolar transistors as did the, alas short-lived, PA-2224 which used 16 MOSFET modules to reach 4 kW.

The heat dissipation and cooling requirements associated with continuous operation of SSPA:s are often underestimated.
SELEX states that their current 10 kW transmitter dissipates about 28 kW as heat at 10 kW key-down output.

This scales to about 800 W of dissipation from each of the modules with driver stages and power supply efficiency factored in.

A distributed approach is necessary to get rid of these amounts of heat in a reasonable way.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM