[Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Apr 25 10:02:59 EDT 2017

##  I have given up on the quest for good eff +  good imd.   On some of
these SS amps, they provide for a lower voltage, to increase eff, when using
low power.
The AL-600  has this feature with its manually selected   42V and also 50 V
position. Other SS amps  will auto switch the Voltage down, when PO is
reduced below a set threshold.
Problem is, the eff increases back to its normal 50%.... but the IMD also
gets worse.  None of these SS amps currently in production, including the
latest and greatest have good imd and good eff.  Its always one
or the other.   The pre-distortion scheme, like used in the ADAT etc will
improve the imd, typ by 10 db.   Problem is, they all have this  20-30 msecs
delay, so there is no way you can monitor your ssb signal, it doesnt work.
Anything much over 6 msecs  will sound horrid, when listening on headphones
with the monitor on.  IMO,  50% eff is pretty bad..and 35% is abysmal.   For
now, I will stick to GG triodes.  At least good IMD and 65-70% eff,
and zero cooling issues..all in the same sentence.   Im not about to buy an
ADAT xcvr anytime soon, so will have to stick with what yaesu has given me.
Class A on the MK-V provides for superb imd,  but the eff is beyond
useless.  Other than brief tests, it will cook the heatsinks. On class A, it
sucks 10A CCS  at 30 vdc.   300w CCS of diss, when u hit the footswitch..and
say...nothing.   When actually driven, its then 300w input.... and a max of
75 w output..so then diss is reduced to 225w.  So although class A works,
the eff is so bad, it has been rendered ineffective.   I know one fellow who
burned out 3 sets of transistors on his MK-V.   It doesnt help that there
is no air going down past heatsinks 1+2.... only down 3+4.

Jim  VE7RF