[Amps] Alpha 99

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Apr 26 11:06:46 EDT 2017

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 18:52:14 -1000
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd at flex.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 99

Any Alpha 99 gurus out there,  I have an early model 99 with the tapped
plate choke and clapper system.   The clapper has finally a hole burnt
in it,
and I was thinking I have seen a late model 99 with just a choke in place of
all that relay / clapper junk.   I usually use Ameritron chokes in my home
brew amps and hoping one will fit the 99,  has any one done this?

Also does any one have updates and setup information on setting the various
pots on the control board?

Need to pull the amp out of service and replace the rear wafer on the band
switch,  it was not aligned when built and the rear wafer is 1/2 step
off,  thus
burning a contact or two.

Thanks  73 Merv K9FD/KH6

##  I believe the alpha used a 2 section plate choke, and the bandswitch shorted out
one section of the plate choke, when on the higher bands.  Done, so both windings
wont series resonate on the upper bands.  The henry 8 k ultra did the same thing, but
used a relay.   Later alphas ripped off the gapped choke idea from ameritron, and
came out with their own version.   IF the newer alpha  gapped choke fits, and is not
too long vs the oem choke, its should work.   The ameritron choke, IF it fits, should
also work.

Jim  VE7RF