[Amps] Alpha 99

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Wed Apr 26 14:13:12 EDT 2017

Have you asked Alpha lately for any info at all??
I have made many many calls to Alpha and 99 percent of them are
for naught.   To talk to a tec was next to impossible,  to gather any
info from anyone was also next to impossible,  my experience, if you
have had better,  good on ya mate.
> It never hurts to ask Alpha for information instead of speculations...
>
> The early 99 amps used a board at the front of the bandswitch (inside the
> front subchassis) to turn on the plate choke relay that K9FD's amp has,
> this relay pulls down the clapper arm to short out part of the plate choke
> on higher bands.  If the arm isn't adjusted to pull down solid enough, the
> contact point can burn.
>
> If anyone ripped off Ameritron it wasn't Alpha.  Alpha changed to the RF
> Parts RFC3 plate choke, bought in batches from RF Parts, then started
> winding their own to the same specs.  It will work in the earlier 99, no
> other changes were made.
>
> All the bandswitch wafers WERE aligned correctly when the amp was built,
> how could it have passed a 48 hour transmitting burn-in?  Who has been
> poking inside of a 15 year old amp since it was originally adjusted?
The wafer was not aligned properly,  this amp was number 2 if I remember
correctly,
I bought it from Alpha after it came back from a DX trip,  for some
reason it was
being refurbished,  it resided in a box for years until I moved to KH6
I had problems with it from day one,  none of the bias settings were
correct,  it
needed screen voltage changes etc.   It was purchased right at the time
that Alpha was
changing hands and Brosnahan left and moved to Texas,  what I got was a
very good
priced 99 (cheap) that was not "finished" with refurb.    The switch
wafer is about 1/2 contact
off and has been that way since purchased.  It was never correct. It
never passed any
24 hour burn in.   Heck the transformer would not even fit the bolt
holes when I assembled
it.