[Amps] W8YX at Univ of Cincy

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Apr 27 16:18:17 EDT 2017

Hi Don,

When I was at UC, there was virtually no club that I remember. I also
remember the EE dept being VERY unfriendly to hams -- they resented our
questions based on practical knowledge. I'm going from distant memory,
but I think it was in the last year or so of my tenure that I got W8YX
re-licensed and back on the air. 50+ years later, I don't recall details
of that process. I do remember that our assigned faculty advisor, one of
the younger guys, was quite unfriendly and mostly uncooperative. His
last name began with R.

Another ham and myself were co-op students at R L Drake, and got Bob
Drake (a UC alum) to donate a TR3 that we built from reject parts. That
would have been late '63 - early '64, my senior year). It added to the
75A-1 (I think that version of the RX) and KW1. Last I heard (within the
last decade), the Collins gear was still there.

73, Jim K9YC