[Amps] Fil transformer

Gary Schafer garyschafer at largeriver.net
Thu Aug 10 14:13:09 EDT 2017

Jim,

With a filament winding the resistance difference from side to side is hard
to see. But the true center tap does not have equal resistance on each side
of center.
The voltage is determined by the number of turns on the transformer. As you
get more layers of turns on the core the winding area grows and each layer
requires more wire length for each turn compared with the length of the
lower layers.
So the outer layer turns will have higher resistance than the lower layer
turns. This means that the center tap will not have the same resistance on
each side.

You can easily see this on a transformer primary where it has two windings
(120/240). One winding is usually layered over the other. Each will have a
different resistance while the voltage is the same because of the same
number of turns.

73
Gary  K4FMX