[Amps] MFJ products

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Dec 5 09:44:04 EST 2017

##  You forgot to tell us that it was a 40 A   13.8 vdc, switching type power supply !
Found it on U tube, where the vdc pegged past 16 vdc.  Another fellow had his
way over 45 vdc...and fried his yaesu.    The u tube fellow says his  did not have
any over voltage protection built into it !   Since his was under warranty, MFJ will
repair it..... but not the very expensive yaesu xcvr.

##  Fuses on radios  will only protect against excess current, not excess voltage.   Your
surge protector on the input of the 120 vac.. feeding the MFJ switching supply, will  not help at all.
The issue is the lack of over voltage protection in the mfj switching supply, and what ever caused
it to crank out excess  vdc in the 1st place... frying everything connected to it.

##  Either   replace with a better quality switcher from a different manufacturer, or  use
an analog supply, like a  50 A  CCS astron.

##  way too many issues with the MFJ-4245  switcher imo.  if the supply bows up, who cares... but when the
same supply  blows up  a bunch of expensive gear connected to it, then its a serious issue.

Jim   VE7RF