[Amps] Multi tube amp

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Dec 6 03:09:28 EST 2017

Now that's a reminder of the "old days" when surplus 1625s were dirt
cheap and you coud get all the 813s and 6C21s for $5 ea.

  A local, K8NIE had a setup similar to yours although I think he used a
different driver.  The final looked like a forest of those modified
1625s. I don't remember how many he used, but it was just on 160.

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 12/5/2017 Tuesday 6:18 PM, Carl wrote:
> That reminds me of around 1957 when I dipped a toe into SSB with a
> used Central Electronics 10B and a BC-458 VFO.The fleapower was
> boosted by a article,CQ or QST, that was an amp that used a modified
> 1625 to drive 4 more, all in GG. The modification required cutting
> into the tube base and unsoldering the Suppressor Grid wire from the
> cathode pin and stuffing it into the grid or screen pin. RCA and a few
> other brand tubes could not be modified since the suppressor
> connection was inside the tube envelope. I ran this a few years on
> 75-40-20 until picking up a used HT-37 in 63 and a CE-100V in 65 which
> I still use at times for great sounding phasing style audio on SSB and AM
>
> I think I still have those modified 1625's buried somewhere.
>
> Other WW2 era tubes Ive used for up to 1500W are the 803 and 813.
> A slightly more modern tube is the Russian GU-81M which is somewhat
> like a pair of 813's on steroids. I havent used it at RF but a pair
> make a great AM modulator for serious smoke
>
> and cant fix this
> Sorry for the screwed up formatting, hit the wrong key
> .
> Carl
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "KA9EGW" <ka9egw at ka9egw.com>

Snip...Gettin way too long