[Amps] MFJ products

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 7 07:36:12 EST 2017

Many years ago I dismantled several old broadcast transmitters, and I
built a bench supply out of two 7 volt 180 amp filament transformers
( tubes with handles ).   Another similar transformer served as a choke input.
It had about 1/2 volts ripple at 18 volts out.  I built a regulated
pass transistor to a one ohm resistive load as a way to test the
supply under load.

I found that I could set the pass transistors  10 2n3055s to just at
the middle of the 1/2 volt ripple and the pre-regulator voltage ripple
could almost be eliminated.  If I recall correctly, the load
dissipated around 50-100 watts.

   Re-tapping the primaries of the two transformers to 260vac gave
around 15 volts, which I ran to the back of the radio desk for the
Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios.

I thought about using a 250vac variac on the primaries, but none of my
radios or projects ever caused the supply to drop below 13 volts, and
all of the radios were comfortable at 15 volts.

Don W4DNR

ps......  if you are "really" concerned about a pass transistor
shorting out, put a marine storage battery between your supply and
your radios.
( Proper fuses of course )

The battery becomes a "MEGA-capacitor" and eliminates surges/brownouts/spikes
from damaging your $5000 toys.