[Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:16:22 EST 2017

   On 12/13/2017 01:15 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

  /* snip */
> ##  Although the  tuned choke concept works, it really is a throwback to the
> 1950s.  IF the choke and parallel resonating cap just happen to resonate at 120 hz,
> the peak V across that parallel tuned choke will skyrocket, and both the cap and choke
> will explode.   Typ the choke is resonated just a bit higher than 120 hz, like 123 to 124 hz.
> When u start sucking loads of plate current, the inductance of the choke will DECREASE a bit,
> and the resonance of the choke + resonating cap combo will  INCREASE  some more, like now
> up to 124-130 hz.
  /* snip */

   I must have been taught all wrong, I was taught the capacitor (to
ground) is in series with the series inductor forming a series resonant
circuit that conducts the 120 Hz to ground, instead of storing energy
like the "brute force" large capacitor. (bank)
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.