[Amps] Operational Input Impedance

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Dec 23 15:10:03 EST 2017

I have done it with these methods: One is to find or build an operating
impedance bridge. A Delta Electronics OIB2 is the module that was made
for HF range up to 1 kW. It will read inline impedance under power.
Another is to use an external dual directional coupler, rated for few
hundred watts and down to HF range. Werlatone makes such a device. You
might find something from Narda or Microlab/FXR surplus, not sure they
will go that low. Then calibrate it into the test using a vector network
analyzer. It has to have ext A/B/R inputs for this to work.
There are other ways, these are the most direct, and unfortunately
costly ways. But they will give you the exact input complex Z of an
amplifier under power.
73
John
K5PRO