[Amps] NXP 65V LDMOS 1K80H-1800W

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sun Dec 24 18:16:13 EST 2017

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 08:49:23 -0800, Jim wrote:

>##  I would like to see what both these amp manufacturers  have to say about  duty cycle.
>If they are  1.5 kw  ICAS,  I will pass on em for now, not for the $7K price tag.

REPLY:

Before anyone gets too enraptured over SS amps, you might want to
reconsider the advantages of tube type amps:

1.  With a pi or pi-L tank, no antenna tuner is required up to SWR of
about 3:1.

2.  Likewise, no low pass filters.

3.  Much more resistant to accidental overloads.

4.  Heat dissipation is easy.

5.  Usually cost less unless you want autotune.

6.  1.5 kW CCS is easily achievable, i.e. a single 8877 pr pair of
3-500Z's. The most common limiting factor is the power supply, not the
tube.

Drawbacks:

1.  Warm up time with some tubes. Not an issue with 3-500Z's or other
filament-type tubes.

2.  The cheaper ones are all manual tune.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

73, Bill W6WRT