[Amps] Defining CCS

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sun Dec 31 17:01:43 EST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: <donroden at hiwaay.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] Defining CCS

>> Every wonder why a broadcast transmitter is in such a large box?
>>
>> 73
>> Jim W7RY
>
> To make it hard for broadcast types like me to bring them home to put on
> 160.
> Don W4DNR

For the same reason 20' plus long cars were built weighing 6000 #

To impress buyers that size was everything. That the engineer could walk
inside and replace parts in a very short time was a side benefit.....

The last 1500W CCS ham amp was probably the Amp Supply LK-800A with the PAC
8 outboard Dahl transformer weighing close to 50#. With 3x 3CX800A7's it
wasnt lacking in PD.

The Henry 8K could do it but wasnt marketed as just a ham amp

The stock Alpha 77SX was severly underpowered.

Carl

---
http://www.avg.com