[Amps] TenTec 425 Plate Current at Standby

Mark Robinson markrob at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 4 16:07:48 EST 2017

I have a Tentec 425 as well (Golden Series) and I love this amplifier.

I have had this plate current problem twice in the last two years and
both times it was a bad Chinese Matchlett tube.

I hope it turns out to be a bias problem as K2XX has described. I tried
the tube swap first as it was easier and I had some spare Eimac tubes on
hand.

When using this amp watch the grid current at all times. I like to keep
mine at 30mA. If you are showing too much grid current when tuned then I
increase the Tune setting by maybe 0.5 and then reload for max RF.  This
gives less amp gain and you will see less grid current.   I keep a table
handy with all the settings for the different bands and spot
frequencies   My amp is a later model and has grid current protection.
I  don't think some of the earlier models had this protection. It is a
quite simple circuit where the current monitoring voltage is applied to
the base of a transistor through a resistor and once the current drive
voltage gets too high it turns off the bias to the tubes.

73 Mark N1UK