[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Feb 16 00:15:55 EST 2017

Wouldn't Amps, or Ham Amps be a better reflector for this thread?

Were talking distilled water here. If it's conductive enough to present
a danger, it's long past time for a replacement.

When I was a Tech (before going back to college) it was rare to have
water spraying around inside those 100, 200, and even 250 KW generators
and the load coils were exposed.

Water cooling is a simple, mature technology.  Water cooling is rather
simple. It's the monitoring that can get complicated.  In high voltage
areas, we used linear (solenoid) coils of clear Tygon tubing to get the
necessary high resistance.

The simplest was a clear plastic block, drilled and tapped for all the
water exhausts.  You could see at a glance  how well any water circuit
was doing.  Simple, cheap, and foolproof "IF THE OPERATOR PAID ATTENTION".

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 2/15/2017 5:24 AM, Big Don wrote:
> Water-cooled amps HEALTH TIP --
> There are enough ways to *electrocute* yourself playing with amps
> without having leaked water spraying everywhere....
> Don  N7EF
>
>     On 2/14/2017 10:14 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>
>         Or you refrigerate the water, but in that case the heat from
>         compression is air cooled.
>         There's a good chance submersing in oil would change the
>         values of some components.  200 fluid of a very low viscosity
>         would work.
>
>         OTOH it takes very little water to adequately cool a legal
>         limit amp, be it a SS or tube type.
>
>         73, Roger (K8RI)

Roger (K8RI)

---