[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Feb 22 02:06:31 EST 2017

A properly designed SS amp running Class A, AB1, AB2, B, and C uses
about the same power and class as a tube amp may require less cooling
than the tube amp as there is no heat from a filament.  Many tube amps
in the legal limit  power range require fan cooling directed at the
filament pins and lower seals.

Only SS amps using exotic modes require less cooling.

To me, it makes more sense to use modern devices that can run 2400 W for
a pair of transistors per module, use a pair of modules through
combiners, design the whole works for the legal limit and you will get a
super clean amp for less than the cost of an equivalent tube amp and
without the fan noise, without the need for a lot of complicated
monitoring and protection circuitry.

Adding hardware predistortion gives an outstanding signal, while dynamic
predistortion gives an even cleaner signal.

I've used several SS, air cooled amps in the 1 to 1.2 KW range and they
did not suffer from excessive heat. In fact, they were very quiet,
unlike my tube amps.

The only legal limit amp I have that is quiet is my old HT33B, but that
legal limit was quite a bit less than today's.

73, Roger (K8RI)