[Amps] Off topic - help with eHam.net

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Feb 28 21:05:48 EST 2017

$475 to ship a Palstar Auto-tuner?  How much did it weigh?

I've received amplifiers in two boxes at well over 100# total from
Australia for considerably less than that.  OTOH, I was charged nearly
$200 on import duty, when there should have been none due to a trade
agreement.  I think it went into somebody's pocket. Calls and e-mails
went unanswered.  My FT5000MP at 1# under max for UPS was considerably
less than that from CA.

I agree that the USPS, "If it fits, it ships" boxes are by far the least
expensive, but I've found USPS to be the least reliable.

Don't have UPS, or FED-X pick up. Ship from their stores. It's much
cheaper.
I use both services as well as USPS and have not run into these
excessive charges..."YET"   OTOH  I've not shipped anything large
recently.  I did receive an AV680 from the E coast and w whole bunch of
of AL tubing from DX engineering with quite reasonable charges.

Some companies have outrageous shipping and handling charges.

73, Roger (K8RI)