[Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 17

Charlie Young weeksmgr at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 21:23:32 EST 2017

Thanks Larry.

I am familiar with Glenn's stellar reputation, but have been hesitant to bother him with this.  I figure he has a full plate.

Perhaps if we are unsuccessful, we may have to ask Glenn for help.

We are making progress with this. I have received some good input/suggestions  from several  Amps list members.  Bruce W2SE and I have been exchanging troubleshooting ideas.

This is a really nice amplifier. The pin diode switching is not as complex as we expected.  There are only so many places this problem can be, and we are ruling them out one at a time.

I still would like to know what kind of a disparity in the ratio of the wattmeter readings is sufficient to trigger a fault 17.  What is designed into the amp software?   We have concluded this 23% difference is likely not the issue, and now I am about to visit with the input pin diode to make sure it is passing RF to the tube cathode.

The thing kicks offline so fast, there is no Ip led deflection that can be seen.  If this were a conventional amp, I would think it is kicking off before outputting any power.  There is not even a thump like the transformer momentarily loading up.

I am optimistic we will find and fix the problem.  This has surely been educational for me.  Thought when we fixed the fault 1 problem, we were home free.  Wrong!  No frustration so far, I am enjoying this (so far).

73 Charlie N8RR