[Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Tue Jan 3 18:37:25 EST 2017

You're right Jim. I was remembering wrong. I have a C-Line set up on one of
my vintage station tables and just repeated the experiment. I loaded the
T4XC to maximum output (measured with an LP-100A) and got 119W into a DL on
20m. Then I shorted the ALC, and the output only went up to 128W.  However,
talking into the microphone caused the average plate current meter reading
on the T4XC to about double with the ALC shorted, even though the peak
output power hardly changed. Evidently, there was severe flat-topping in the
T4XC PA. It would have splattered all over the band, and probably would have
been barely intelligible.
73,
Jim W8ZR