[Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of

Mark Bitterlich markbitterlich at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:41:16 EST 2017

Sorry for writing too much lately, I usually am a "lurker".

Question:  I have no experience with "IMD meters" that are designed around
measuring the IMD products of PSK AFSK inputs.  I get the idea of how they
might work (famous last words)  but I am curious as to how they would
compare to conventional designs using two tone tests where the audio sources
are carefully isolated, and the measurement devices have the attenuator set
to remain in the linear range without putting the products down into the
noise floor.

My attempts have always resulted in: "Ok, this is better, and this is far
worse", but I have never been satisfied that I have something like a TOI
number that I can quote.  The premise that I can purchase something like
this that gives accurate results with a simple AFSK input is attractive, but
I have questions as to its accuracy.

A lot has been said here lately regarding IMD and how ALC can influence it,
etc .  My limited experience measuring it has led me to doubt my own
results, at least with ham radio devices.

Following advice is great.  Measuring it and seeing it with your own eyes is
better.

What are the experts best suggestions in this regard?

Thanks.

Mark