[Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

Jeff Breitner lists at rudn.com
Thu Jan 5 09:05:32 EST 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> >It occurs to me that one could have some fun and make a few bucks
> >homebrewing coax cable assemblies.
>
> That's like the term "homebrewed dipole" an insult to anyone who
> actually builds a major piece of equipment such as a transmitter.
>
> In the days before these manufactured assemblies and dipoles were made
> and sold, EVERYONE "homebrewed" their feedlines and antennas.   those
> SKs must be turning over in their graves.

As I am sure Grace Hopper has had a few spins of her own.  Both amateur
radio and computing demonstrate that we all sort of stand on the stairs
built by our predecessors, and while I agree the term "homebuilt dipole"
shows a lack of technical sophistication, we all have to start somewhere.
I long ago quit building my own computers, so who am I to judge?