[Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Jan 6 06:25:45 EST 2017

A dipole that will last is something I can build in a few minutes
including the choke, support rope, and coax.that will take far more than
the legal limit and will outlast me.  True, I've built many at many
locations and have "everything on hand.", BUT I have very limited use of
my left hand. (Another reason for using crimp connectors.) Try doing
this with just one hand. <:-)  Like hams learn to adapt parts, a person
can learn to adapt as well.  Of course, it helps greatly that I grew up
on a farm.

Center  and end insulators on e-bay, coax from many sources, crimp
connectors, likewise..
I already have a tower, but a line over a tree to haul up an inverted V,
or the upper end of a sloping dipole.

They "can be" quick, simple, and robust, IF and I emphasize the If you
know the antenna basics and where to find the parts.  I use Copper split
nuts and never solder wire antennas. OTOH the ones I do put up are
usually under considerable tension. Tension on the order of between 100
and 200#

Being cheap served us well for many years, because we could find quality
surplus parts for low prices.  Not so much now days. Cheap means DIN
connectors with low temp molded plastic that were meant for use in
machine assembly, not hand soldered.  These are the same connectors that
are used in big name computers and ham gear. It  means undersize wire,
poor insulation, poor quality parts. Cheap now gets us cheap parts most
of the time.

73, Roger (K8RI)