[Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

Jim W7RY jimw7ry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 08:17:59 EST 2017

I completely disagree!

My first amplifier project was at age 16, shortly after I got my general
class license.

I modified (and extensively at that) a amplifier that was homebrewed by
someone else. I removed the choke in the power supply, converted it from
tube rectifiers (3B28) to 1N4007s that I bought from James Electronics,
built a tuned input circuit, built my own high voltage probe with 1 megOhm
resistors and used it with my Radio Shack range doubler voltmeter, and then
used it extensively on 40 meters SSB on 7235. AND lived to tell about it!
But then again, I'm very confident around high voltage.

And this was in 1975-76.

73
Jim W7RY