[Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 17

Charlie Young weeksmgr at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:36:57 EST 2017

I have good and bad news friends.    The good news is the amplifier works with a temporary clip lead jumper in place of the open control wire between the input and output relays.   Seems to have no issues, at least on 20M.   I am shutting it down now to address the wiring harness.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, advice and encouragement.  I am glad to see this baby play, and I know my friend will be happy as well.

The bad news is this confirms to loss of my short term memory.  Oh well, I was aware of the problem and can live with it.

The moral of this story is:  no matter how complex the equipment, check the simple stuff first.   I made an assumption apparently that operate mode on the computer and amplifer front panel means everything was in operate.  Wrong!! Not necessarily.

I knew the above troubleshooting rule, but think I let the complexity of this amp and my unfamiliarity with it overwhelm my common logic.   In any case, this is a nice amplifier and I hope parts continue to be available for it.  I have 3 other friends locally who have one.  One thing is for sure, I am familiar with it now!!

Again, thanks for the help and the bandwidth.

73 Charlie N8RR