[Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

Arthur Movius ajmovius at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:58:24 EST 2017

I heartily second Ward's words and Jim's advice.

Every one of the legal limit tube amps that I built incorporated
interlocks.  The first amp used a free TV station's timed out 4-1000A.
It was built per the 17th ed. of William I. Orr, W6SAI's /Radio
Handbook/, page 682.

My dad became a SK at the age of 64 when he put the cover back on his
amp, right after shutting it down.  Arc marks indicated that the cover
contacted the top of the plate choke.  Burn marks on dad indicated that
the current path through him was from both hands which were holding the
cover to his abdomen which was touching his mike.  Although voltage was
bleeding off, there was sufficient energy in the voltage doubler power
supply caps to cause muscle reaction that sent him backwards about 6
feet and kill him.

When working around exposed HV a second opportunity to make a mistake is
improbable.

73, Jim, K7AJM