[Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 04:25:50 EST 2017

The worst amplifier-building injury that ever I suffered was when I was
building my first 813 amp at age 16. I was drilling a piece of copper
for a strap in the tank circuit, holding it in my hand (!) and using a
handheld drill. The drill of course caught in the copper, the strap
swung around and nearly took off a finger.

I remember thinking, "I have to be careful because the drill always
catches in copper" right before I did it. Duh.

I had a near miss with the 4Cx1000A amp I built a few years ago. Late at
night I wanted to see how it would work with slightly lower plate
voltage, so I restrapped the primary of the plate transformer.
Unfortunately, I connected the 240V to the 220 and 240 taps instead of
the 0 and 240 ones! When I turned it on, it popped the breaker in the
power supply, my shack breaker, AND the one in the service entrance, as
well as blowing the fuses in the PS.

After resetting all the breakers, replacing the fuses and fixing my
error, I plugged it back in. Although it was turned off, the plate
voltage meter swung up to 3600V! Turns out the primary relay was welded
shut.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel